Moravská chalet – Špindlerova chalet – Polední kámen – Luční chalet
(15 km, 4–5 h, ascent 740 m, descent 430 m)
- On this leg you will find spectacles of nature: glacial lakes, glacial cirques and the tundra of the Krkonoše Mountains.
- Špindlerova chalet on 1208 masl is located on the main ridge next to the „trail of friendship“ between Poland and the Czech Republic.
- Polední kámen („Noon’s rock“) lies on 1423 masl on the main ridge. It is a rectangular shaped rock formation from granite, way over 12 meters high.
- A glacial lake, Maly Slaw („little pond“), is on the polish side on 1183 masl, it is only 7.3 m in depth. The water is amber-coloured, and it has similarities to alp lakes which are permanently frozen during 200 days of the year.The glacial formations above Maly Slaw are known to be one of the most perfect glacial cirques you can see on the Polish side of the Krkonoše Mountains. On the lakefront there is Samotnia, a little mountain hut with a small bell tower on top. Here you can have a drink or two, relax, and enjoy the gorgeous view.
- Luční chalet („Meadow chalet“) is the biggest and oldest mountain hut of the Krkonoše Mountains on 1410 masl. There is a brewery, a cosy lounge, and with its hotel operations it is perfectly suited for hiking trips, especially to the nearby Mount Sněžka.
Bad weather alternative
Moravská chalet – White Elbe – White Elbe chalet – Luční chalet
(14 km, 4–5 h, ascent: 690 m, descent: 483 m)
Hiking tour – day 4
Luční chalet – Úpa` s peat-bog – Mount Sněžka – Pec pod Sněžkou – Vrchlabí
(11 km, 3–4 h, ascent 255 m, descent 906 m)
- Via the Úpa peat-bog you will approach the highlight of the hiking tour: Mount Sněžka
- The ascent to the peak of Mount Sněžka starts at Slezská chalet and is best done using a zigzag path. This will take around 30 minutes. The trail is secured with stone borders and chains. No special knowledge of climbing is required.
- You will descent from Mount Sněžka via a supply route back to Slezská chalet. From there a further descent via Obří důl (The Giant’s valley) leads you to Pec pod Sněžkou.
- Our transfer service will then take you from Pec pod Sněžkou to Vrchlabí.
- Vrchlabí, a picturesque mountain city is 35 km away from Pec pod Sněžkou. The administration headquarters of the entire Krkonoše Mountains national park are located here. It’s got a nice little city centre, perfect for strolling around town.
Mount Sněžka sunrise alternative
A spectacle of nature rarely to observe is the sunrise at Mount Sněžka’s summit. If weather permits, it is possible to experience the sunrise on the top of the mountain, guided by one of our crew members. It starts 1.5 h before sunrise at the Luční chalet. You will ascent to Mount Sněžka’s summit for the sunrise and descent back to Luční chalet for breakfast. All in all a hike of 7 km with 500 m up and down the mountainside. During today’s leg you then may skip Mount Sněžka and enjoy one of the lovely mountain huts at Obří důl (The Giant’s valley), Krakonoš’s home.